Mommy Helpline Question:
Birth Registration of Illegitimate Children
- Children conceived or born during the marriage of the parents are legitimate. Children conceived and born outside a valid marriage unless provided in the Family Code are illegitimate.
- An illegitimate child born before August 3, 1988 and acknowledged by both parents shall principally use the surname of the father. If recognized by only one of the parents, the illegitimate child shall carry the surname of the acknowledging parent. If no parent acknowledged the child, he/she shall carry the surname of the mother.
- The name/s of the acknowledging parent/s shall be indicated in the Certificate of Live birth,
- An illegitimate child born on or after August 3, 1988 shall bear the surname of the mother.
- An illegitimate child born or after the implementation of R.A. 9255 w/c took effect on June 2, 2004, fifteen days after its publication, the child can use the surname of the father if acknowledged. And still, if no parent acknowledged the child, he/she shall carry the surname of the mother.